In 1945 the Institute of Pathology was established to provide laboratory service for area hospitals, initiating an era of promising research for the state. By 1948, the trustees approved a change to the hospital's statement of purpose that acknowledged this development, describing the hospital as an institution "dedicated to the care of the sick, education and research."
Then in 1963 Brown University appointed the hospital's chief of medicine and chief of surgery as Brown University professors of medicine and surgery, and in 1969 the affiliation between Brown University and Rhode Island Hospital was formalized.
With ongoing community support, Rhode Island Hospital continued to expand and improve to support its mission to be at the forefront of medicine. The hospital today is the major trauma center for southeastern New England and the principal teaching hospital of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Its physicians are recognized leaders in the fields of cancer, cardiology, diabetes, emergency medicine and trauma, neuroscience, orthopedics, pediatrics, radiation oncology and surgery.