The Miriam Hospital is a private, not-for-profit hospital, with a history of providing superior patient care. The Miriam Hospital is the recipient of
numerous clinical quality awards and has earned an outstanding reputation in the community. The hospital is staffed by more than 870 physicians,
approximately 50 full-time house staff (medical school graduates), a nursing staff of 500 and more than 2,300 employees. The Miriam Hospital is a major
teaching affiliate of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and is committed to being at the forefront of medical research. Our patients
benefit from the latest in medical treatment provided by leading physicians who are training the next generation of doctors.
The Miriam Hospital’s history includes many clinical firsts. Rhode Island’s first lung operation, kidney transplant and successful open heart surgery were
all performed at The Miriam Hospital. The hospital was the first in the state to perform artificial disc replacement surgery and robot-assisted surgery,
and was the first in the region to use Merci retriever to remove blood clots. The hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission and is a member of the
American Hospital Association, the Council of Teaching Hospitals of the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Hospital Association of Rhode Island
and the New England Hospital Assembly. The Miriam Hospital is a founding partner of Lifespan, a comprehensive health care system providing accessible,
high-value services to the people of Rhode Island and southern New England. Lifespan partners include Rhode Island Hospital and its Hasbro Children’s
Hospital, Emma Pendleton Bradley Hospital, Newport Hospital and Gateway Healthcare.
The Miriam Hospital Association formed in 1907 with a group of concerned women sharing a common goal: to establish a hospital in Providence. Their dream,
to provide quality medical care for Jewish immigrants in surroundings where their language and customs were understood, was achieved in 1926 when The
Miriam received a charter from the Rhode Island state legislature. As the community grew, so did its need for health care services. The Miriam’s transition
from a 63-bed hospital on Parade Street to the 247-bed complex on Summit Avenue has been a response to these needs. The new Miriam was dedicated on April
24, 1966 “… to serve all the people of Rhode Island, regardless of race, creed, origin or economic means.” Throughout the years, The Miriam Hospital
Association, now known as The Miriam Hospital Women’s Association, has played a major role in the development of the hospital. Their fundraising efforts
and volunteer programs have channeled a network of resources, providing invaluable assistance to the hospital and the community.