Patient & Visitor InformationContact Us
  • Articles and Tips

  • Carbon Monoxide Detectors

  • A Permanent Fixture

    Carbon monoxide gas is slightly lighter than air and can also be found with warm rising air. Detectors should be placed on a wall five feet above the floor. The detector can be placed on a ceiling but do not place the detector next to or over a fireplace or stove. Detectors should be placed out of the way of pets and children. A separate detector should be placed on every floor of your home. The prime spot is in a bedroom; make sure the alarm is loud enough to wake you up. The average carbon monoxide detector has a shelf life of two years. Most detectors have a test feature where you can check the function of the alarm.

    Although fire alarms look and sound similar to carbon monoxide detectors they do not serve the same purpose. It is important to install both detectors in your home.

    If Your Alarm Goes Off: What to Do

    Here are some simple steps to help keep your family out of harm's way. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off:

    • Do not ignore it and don't panic.
    • Make sure all household members including pets get outside immediately, in fresh air.
    • Check to see if anyone shows signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • Call 911.
    • Ventilate the building by opening all windows and doors.
    • Do not return to your home until all appliances and chimneys have been checked by a professional.