Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental death in the United States. It is an odorless, invisible gas that can't be tasted or seen and is extremely deadly if inhaled for an extended period of time. The most common source of carbon monoxide is from gas ranges but, vehicles are the most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning resulting in death.
Carbon monoxide gas is dangerous because when inhaled, it passes from the lungs into the blood stream and interferes with red blood cells' ability to transport oxygen throughout the body. The body is deprived of oxygen and this results in tissue damage and death. The only way this deadly gas can be detected is through a carbon monoxide detector. Find out how to prevent carbon monoxide from invading your home.
Carbon monoxide can come from a number of sources within your home. Any device that requires flame fuel can release carbon monoxide gas. When purchasing appliances for your home it is important to remember that may release carbon monoxide gas. These include:
Carbon monoxide detectors trigger an alarm based on the amount of carbon monoxide detected in an area. Carbon monoxide gas can harm you if you are exposed to high levels in a short period of time or to lower levels over a longer period of time. If you purchase a carbon monoxide detector that requires an electrical outlet, make sure that it also offers a compartment for back-up battery power. Carbon monoxide detectors are set to go off before the exposure of carbon monoxide can produce any kind of a health hazard to healthy adults. Babies, children, pregnant women, people with circulatory or respiratory ailments and the elderly are more sensitive to carbon monoxide than healthy adults.