Summer Poison Safety Tips
These tips are courtesy of the Regional
Center for Poison Control and
Prevention. For more information call 1-800-222-1222.
Summer is here, the beaches are open and outdoor fun is in full swing.
But among all the fun, could come the dangers of poison. Help your
family stay poison-free this summer by following a few simple tips.
Food safety: Remember to properly cook and store your
food. Cook red meat at a temperature of 150 to 165 F° or until
it looks brown inside. Also, the recommended temperature for
cooking poultry is 170 to180 F°. Cook the poultry until the
juices run clear. Cook fish until it flakes. Refrigerate or
freeze any leftover food. Never leave cooked foods at room
temperature for more than one hour. More
about food safety.
Paint and petroleum products: Paint removers, turpentine,
paint thinners, gasoline, kerosene and charcoal lighter fluid
must be used with care and stored away from the reach of
children. Fumes from these products can be toxic, so always use
these products in well ventilated areas.
Plants and mushrooms: Colorful blossoms and bright
berries attract children to plants and mushrooms that can be
poisonous. Teach children to never put any kind of plants in
their mouth. Take unknown plants to your local nursery or garden
center for identification. More
about pretty poisons.
Insect repellant: DEET is one of the most common
ingredients used in insect repellents and it is absorbed through
the skin. In high concentrations, DEET can have harmful side
effects. Use DEET with caution. The American Academy of
Pediatrics recommends that repellents with no more than 10% DEET
be applied to children over the age of two. Adults should select
repellents with no more than 30% DEET. More
about insect repellant.
Yard and garden safety: Insecticides and pesticides can
be extremely harmful to people when used improperly. Use
protective clothes when spraying and do not spray when in windy
weather conditions. Never leave the sprayer unattended—even for
a few seconds.
Remember to keep all poisonous products out of the reach of children. If
you suspect someone has been poisoned call the Regional Center for
Poison Control and Prevention at 1-800-222-1222.
More articles |