Practice monthly self-examinations. Remember-prompt surgical excision of an early melanoma offers the best chance of a cure. If you have any doubt about a mole, see a dermatologist.
1. Examine your body, front and back, in the mirror, and then your right and left sides with your arms raised.
2. Bend elbows and look carefully at your forearms, upper underarms and palms.
3. Look at the backs of your legs and feet, including the soles and the spaces between your toes
4. Examine the back of your neck and scalp with a hand mirror. Part your hair for a closer look.
5. Finally, check your back and buttocks with the hand mirror.
Source: American Academy of Dermatology
More skin cancer prevention: