Patient & Visitor InformationContact Us
  • Articles and Tips

  • Summer Poison Safety Tips


  • These tips are courtesy of the Regional Center for Poison Control and Prevention. For more information call 1-800-222-1222.

    Summer is here, the beaches are open and outdoor fun is in full swing. But among all the fun, could come the dangers of poison. Help your family stay poison-free this summer by following a few simple tips.

    • Food safety: Remember to properly cook and store your food. Cook red meat at a temperature of 150 to 165 F° or until it looks brown inside. Also, the recommended temperature for cooking poultry is 170 to180 F°. Cook the poultry until the juices run clear. Cook fish until it flakes. Refrigerate or freeze any leftover food. Never leave cooked foods at room temperature for more than one hour. More about food safety.
    • Paint and petroleum products: Paint removers, turpentine, paint thinners, gasoline, kerosene and charcoal lighter fluid must be used with care and stored away from the reach of children. Fumes from these products can be toxic, so always use these products in well ventilated areas.
    • Plants and mushrooms: Colorful blossoms and bright berries attract children to plants and mushrooms that can be poisonous. Teach children to never put any kind of plants in their mouth. Take unknown plants to your local nursery or garden center for identification. More about pretty poisons.
    • Insect repellant: DEET is one of the most common ingredients used in insect repellents and it is absorbed through the skin. In high concentrations, DEET can have harmful side effects. Use DEET with caution. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that repellents with no more than 10% DEET be applied to children over the age of two. Adults should select repellents with no more than 30% DEET. More about insect repellant.
    • Yard and garden safety: Insecticides and pesticides can be extremely harmful to people when used improperly. Use protective clothes when spraying and do not spray when in windy weather conditions. Never leave the sprayer unattended-even for a few seconds.

    Remember to keep all poisonous products out of the reach of children. If you suspect someone has been poisoned call the Regional Center for Poison Control and Prevention at 1-800-222-1222.

    More articles  |