Find a Doctor
Abbe Garcia, PhD is director of the Pediatric Anxiety Research Center (PARC) and clinical director of Bradley Hospital’s Intensive Program for OCD. Dr. Garcia is also an assistant professor (research) of psychiatry and human behavior at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
Dr. Garcia received a BA in psychology from Williams College and completed her graduate training at Temple University. She also completed a predoctoral internship in the clinical psychology training program, and she was a postdoctoral fellow in child and pediatric psychology, both at The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University.
Garcia’s research interests are connected to quality improvement efforts in the Intensive Program for OCD. She is interested in using objective measures of outcome to demonstrate clinical changes and in using these data to guide further development of the treatment approach used in this program.
Areas of Expertise
- Garcia, A.M., Freeman, J.B., Himle,. M., Berman, N.C., Ogata, A.K., Ng, J.S., Choate-Summers, M., Leonard, H.L. (2009). Phenomenology of early onset obsessive compulsive disorder, Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 31 (2), 104-111.
- Flessner, C.A., Berman, N.C., Garcia, A.M, Freeman, J.B., Leonard, H.L. (2009). Symptom profiles on pediatric obsessive compulsive disorder: The effects of comorbid grooming conditions. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 23(6), 753-759.
- Freeman, J. Choate-Summers, M., Garcia, A., Moore, P., Sapayta, J., Khanna, M., March, J., Foa, E., Franklin, M. (2009). The Pediatric Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Treatment Study II: Rationale, Design and Methods. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 3(1):4.
- Garcia, A.M. (2010). What does “work” mean? Reopening the debate about clinical significance. Clinical Psychology: Science & Practice, 17(1), 48-51.
- Flessner, C.A., Allgair, A., Garcia, A., Freeman, J, Sapayta, J., Franklin, M.E., Foa, E., March, J. (2010). The impact of neuropsychological functioning on treatment outcome in pediatric Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Depression and Anxiety, 27(4), 365-371.
- Chorney, J.M., Garcia, A.M., Berlin, K.S., Bakeman, R., Kain, Z.N. (2010). Time-window sequential analysis: An introduction for pediatric psychologists, Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 35(10), 1061-70.
- Garcia, A.M., Sapyta, J., Moore, P.S., Freeman, J., Franklin, M., March, J.S., Foa, E.B. (2010). Predictors of treatment outcome in the Pediatric OCD Treatment Study, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 49(10), 1024-1033.
- Flessner, C.A., Sapyta, J., Garcia, A., Freeman, J.B., Franklin, M.E., Foa, E., & March, J. (2011). Examining the Psychometric Properties of the Family Accommodation Scale-Parent-Report (FAS-PR). Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 33, 38-46.
- Freeman, J.B., Flessner, C.A., Garcia, A.M. (in press) The Children's Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale: Reliability and Validity for Use Among 5 to 8 Year Olds with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
- Freeman, J.B., Franklin, M., Garcia, A.M., Sapayta, J., March, J.M. (in press). Still Struggling: Characteristics of Youth with OCD who are Partial Responders to Medication Treatment. Child Psychiatry and Human Development.