Albert Telfeian, MD, PhD, leads the endoscopic spine surgery program. A world-renown leader in endoscopic spinal surgery with national and international patient referral base, has been also appointed as the Director of newly established Center for Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Spinal Surgery at Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University. He is board certified by The American Board of Neurological Surgery and is an Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at The Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University. Previously he was an assistant professor of neurosurgery at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and associate professor of neurosurgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Dr. Telfeian also serves as Vice Chair for Quality Improvement to improve the quality of care for patients.
He is a graduate of the MD/PhD program at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Yale University and his neurosurgical residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He also completed fellowship training in spine and functional epilepsy surgery at Switzerland’s Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and a pediatric neurosurgery fellowship at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Dr. Telfeian has published extensively in the areas of epilepsy, functional and spine surgery and is currently involved in the research and development of ultra-minimally invasive endoscopic techniques. He was the recipient of the American Association of Neurologic Surgeons Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Research Award, the American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Award, and the J. Kiffin Penry Pediatric Epilepsy Award, and was named one of the nation’s 15 leaders in neurosurgery in the October 2011 edition of Newsweek.
- Smith SE, Kirkham FJ, , Deveber G, Millman G, Dirks PB, Wirrell E, Telfeian AE, Sykes K, Barow K, Ichord R. Outcome following decompressive craniectomy for malignant middle cerebral artery infarction in children. Dev Med Child Neurol 2010 Aug 30.
- Simon SL, Auerbach JD, Garg S, Sutton L, Telfeian AE, Dormans JP. Efficacy of spinal instrumentation and fusion in the prevention of postlaminectomy spinal deformity in children with intramedullary spinal cord tumors. J Pediatr Orthop 2008 vol 28, No. 2.
- Porter BE, Zhang G, Celix J, Hsu FC, Raol YH, Telfeian AE, Gallagher PR, Coulter DA, Brooks-Kayal AR. Heterogeneous GABAA receptor subunit expression in pediatric epilepsy patients. Neurobiol Dis 2005 Apr;18(3):484-91.
- Sestokas AK, Telfeian AE, Duhaime AC, Sutton L, Sestokas LO, Schwartz DM. Intraoperative motor cortex mapping in children with intractable seizures using motor evoked potential (MEP) threshold gradients. J Clin Neurophys 2005 Oct;22(5).
- Telfeian AE, Judkins A, Younkin D, Pollock AN, Crino P. Subependymal giant cell astrocytoma with cranial and spinal metastases in a patient with tuberous sclerosis. Journal of Neurosurgery (Pediatrics 5) 2004;100:498-501.
- Telfeian AE, Landa J, Drummond D. Congenital formation of an intraspinal osseous vertebral ring causing spinal cord compression. Spine 2004 Jan; 29(1):E1-3.