Volunteer Opportunities at The Miriam Hospital
- Help With Applying Online
- All Lifespan Hospital Campuses Are Tobacco-Free
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Nursing at Rhode Island Hospital
- Nursing at The Miriam Hospital
- Nursing at Newport Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Why Volunteer?
- Volunteering: Rights and Responsibilities
- Volunteer Opportunities at Rhode Island Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at The Miriam Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Newport Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Prepare for Your Career and Volunteer
- Workforce and Youth Development
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
Hello and welcome to volunteer services at The Miriam Hospital!
We are proud and honored to have people of all ages and backgrounds volunteer at The Miriam Hospital. The mission our hospital is "to inspire one another to improve the health and spirit of the lives we touch," and in volunteer services, we are able to support and contribute to that mission every day.
Our volunteers range from junior volunteers (14 to 17 years old) to student volunteers (high school/college/trade school completing education and career development as part of their school's curriculum), to adult volunteers. We are fortunate to have a diverse group of dedicated and talents individuals that support our mission and make a difference every day to patients, families, visitors, vendors and anyone else that comes to The Miriam Hospital.
We are always looking for qualified, caring people to join our team in volunteer services.
- Clerical support/office work
- Central transport
- Family support liaison desks
- Food and nutrition
- Pet therapy
- Waiting room assistants
- Environmental services/laundry
- Patient care equipment
- Emergency department unit helpers
- Unit helpers
Each volunteer at The Miriam Hospital must:
- Attend a one hour volunteer information session
- Submit a complete application with references
- Interview with volunteer services staff
- Provide an updated immunization record
- Submit to two tuberculosis tests
- Complete an orientation about hospital policies and procedures
- Commit to a minimum of two to four hours each week for at least 100 hours
- If under the age of 18, submit a signed permission slip
- Adhere to uniform and dress code policy
- Complete a criminal background investigation
- Attend a customer service training session
To learn more about volunteer opportunities at The Miriam Hospital, please call Jeni Mowry at 401-793-2512.