Volunteer Opportunities at Rhode Island Hospital
- Help With Applying Online
- All Lifespan Hospital Campuses Are Tobacco-Free
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Nursing at Lifespan
- Nursing at Rhode Island Hospital
- Nursing at The Miriam Hospital
- Nursing at Newport Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Why Volunteer?
- Volunteering: Rights and Responsibilities
- Volunteer Opportunities at Rhode Island Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at The Miriam Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Newport Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Prepare for Your Career and Volunteer
- Workforce and Youth Development
Please use the online form below to register for an open date.
After you register for an information session, print and bring the volunteer application form with you to the session for which you are signed up.Sign up for an information session
Each year, about 800 people volunteer at Rhode Island Hospital and its Hasbro Children's Hospital. Volunteers must be 14 years old or older, commit to at least 100 hours of total service, be willing to help others and have an interest in the health care community.
The volunteer department at Rhode Island Hospital offers volunteer positions for both teens and adults. The following positions are sometimes available for adult volunteers:
- Family liaisons
- Emergency room
- Gift shop
- Nurse aides
- Office support
- Animal visitation
- Physical therapy
- Patient visitors
- Recovery room
- Art Activities
All volunteers at Rhode Island Hospital must:
- Attend a one-hour volunteer information session
- Submit a complete application with references
- Interview with volunteer services staff
- Provide an updated immunization record
- Submit to two tuberculosis tests
- Complete an orientation about hospital policies and procedures
- Commit to a minimum of two to four hours each week for at least 100 hours
- If under the age of 18, submit a signed permission slip
- Adhere to uniform and dress code policy
- Complete a criminal background investigation authorization form (provided by Lifespan volunteer services).
Volunteer Information Sessions
All sessions will be held at Rhode Island Hospital in the Plum Beach Room.
There are adult, college student and high school student sessions. In-state college students may attend an adult session.