Injury Prevention Center
Emergency Medicine SBIRT Website eResources
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is a comprehensive, integrated, public health approach to the delivery of early intervention and treatment services. The Injury Prevention Center at Rhode Island Hospital has received funding from the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to provide SBIRT training to medical students participating in emergency medicine elective and emergency medicine residents. Click on each topic below to expand the menu and view tools that encompass the SBIRT process that can be used as additional resources
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention: A guide for public health practitioners
- Helping Patients who Drink too Much: A Clinician’s Guide
- Implementation of Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment Policies in Pediatric Trauma Centers
- Lifespan ED Resources
- Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment: Resource Manual
- Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) in Behavioral Healthcare
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- The SAMHSA SBIRT Clinical Practice
Babor, Thomas F., McRee, Bonnie G., Kassebaum, Patricia A., Grimaldi, Paul L., Ahmed, Kazi and Bray, Jeremy (2007) “Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)”, Substance Abuse, 28:3,7 -30.
D'Onofrio, G. and Degutis, L. C. (2002), Preventive Care in the Emergency Department: Screening and Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems in the Emergency Department: A Systematic Review. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9: 627–638. doi: 10.1197/aemj.9.6.627.
Madras, Bertha K. et al. “Screening, Brief Interventions, Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) for Illicit Drug and Alcohol Use at Multiple Healthcare Sites: Comparison at Intake and Six Months.” Drug and alcohol dependence 99.1-3 (2009): 280–295. PMC. Web. 10 Mar. 2016.
- Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST)
- Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: AUDIT
- CRAFFT: Adolescent Screening Tool
- NIAAA Screening Guide
- NIAAA: Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioner’s Guide
- S2BI (Screening to Brief Intervention)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People to Change Health Behaviors: Skills Tip Sheet
- Patient Brochure: Rethinking Drinking; Alcohol and Your Health
- Readiness Ruler
- Tips for Developing Change Talk with Patients
- Evoking Commitment to Change
- Motivational Interviewing: Core Concepts
- Teaching Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment for EM Trainees
- Videos Available through the BNI – ART Institute
- Why is brief motivational interviewing the foundation for patient-centered, effective care?
- Trainee MAT video
- Faculty SBIRT Mentoring video
Referral to Treatment
SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Locator can help you find mental health treatment facilities and programs around the country. You may also call SAMHSA’s 24-hour toll-free Referral Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4357).
Referral to Treatment for Adolescents
- Services for Adolescents with Co-occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders in RI
- Substance Abuse Services for Adolescents