Through our partnership with JUST RI, the ClinTECH Center collaborates on community-engaged research and shares a commitment to using science and educational outreach to improve health.
Operating out of ClinTECH, JUST RI is an outreach campaign that utilizes a public health framework to deepen understanding of the ways in which the criminal justice system impacts people and communities.
JUST RI seeks to transform criminal justice in Rhode Island into a less punitive system that:
- Decriminalizes addiction, mental illness, and poverty
- Prepares individuals and communities for reentry
- Seeks to mitigate the collateral consequences of conviction and incarceration
How Just RI Works
The JUST RI initiative provides:
- Technical assistance: Direct support for criminal justice transformation efforts to state government, cities, and organizations to develop and implement strategies to reduce incarceration and improve public safety in the areas of diversion, reentry, and medical/addiction services.
- JUST RI Lab: The development and design of strategies that make criminal justice transformation more equitable, efficient, effective, and measurable—including tools such as briefs, trainings, multi-media presentations, and community information sessions.
- Capacity building: Connecting community groups, the private sector, government agencies, non-profits, and researchers to increase demand and support for criminal justice system transformation.
JUST RI Trainings
Health + Justice System Transformation Training 101
A day-long foundational workshop on the principles and mechanics at the intersection of health and criminal justice. Participants will hear case studies, participate in a reentry simulation, develop practical skills for facilitating discussion, and gain insights into challenges and ways to overcome them.
Advanced Health + Justice System Transformation Training
A customized half-to full-day training for practitioners led by a cross-system team including individuals with lived experience, researchers, program and policy specialists, and law and correction experts. Learn best practices, strengthen skills, and troubleshoot challenges to improve the impact of your planning processes, clinical practices, and outcomes measurement.
For more information, email [email protected] or visit the Center for Health + Justice Transformation website.