Step 1: Orientation
Complete the online orientation in the comfort of your home.
In-person orientations are also available.
Center for Bariatric Surgery
Center for Weight and Wellness
Step 2: First Appointment
If you have taken an online orientation someone will be reaching out to you to schedule your first appointment. If you attended an in person orientation and didn't set up your first appointment at the time of orientation, please call 401-793-3922 for the Center for Bariatric Surgery or 401-793-8790 for the Center for Weight and Wellness to schedule your first appointment.
Lifespan Weight Loss Services
Lifespan offers an extensive range of programs that provide the most comprehensive, integrated care to help our patients achieve and maintain their weight loss and wellness goals. Our Center for Weight and Wellness offers programs to help overweight patients through safe, healthful weight loss, and our Center for Bariatric Surgery provides surgical solutions for severely obese patients. We also offer specialized programs for women, adolescents, and children.
All of our weight loss services treat the whole person, with a focus on overall health and well-being. Our integrated approach to weight loss includes nutrition guidance, exercise, counseling, and monitoring of medical conditions, as needed. We also offer ongoing support for long-term success.
The Center for Bariatric Surgery
The Center for Bariatric Surgery, a program of Rhode Island Hospital and The Miriam Hospital, provides coordinated, personalized care for obese patients who have had ongoing difficulty with long-term, sustained weight loss despite strict diet and exercise programs. We offer additional help and a long-term solution, provided by a surgical team with 40 years of collective experience.
Bariatric surgery is a safe and effective option for people with a body mass index greater than or equal to 40, or greater than or equal to 35 if the patient has medical comorbidities.
Our services and features include:
- Preoperative and postoperative nutritional and behavioral modification programs
- Long-term surgical, nutritional, and behavioral medicine treatment options
- Our team of bariatric surgeons available around the clock to care for all bariatric patients
- Patient support groups, free of charge
- Highly trained operating room personnel and certified bariatric nursing staff
- State-of-the-art technology
The Center for Bariatric Surgery has been recognized for high quality in bariatric surgery by the American College of Surgeons, which designated the program as a fully accredited Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
For more information, please call 401-793-3922, or take the online orientation.
The Center for Weight and Wellness
The Center for Weight and Wellness, a program of The Miriam Hospital, offers treatment for overweight adults at its locations in Providence and East Greenwich. The program provides an individualized treatment plan for each patient, which takes into consideration level of obesity and any psychological and medical conditions.
Our programs include:
Have a Question?
To learn more about surgical and non surgical weight loss options, please call
- Orientation sessions about the full range of weight loss options
- Ongoing medical assessment and treatment
- Instruction in behavioral strategies
- Exercise consultations and instruction
- Nutrition counseling
- On-site psychological evaluations
- Maintenance programs for long-term support and success
- Specific groups for emotional eating and diabetes management
To learn more, contact us at 401-793-8790, or take the online orientation.
Specialized Programs for Weight Loss
Lifespan Weight Loss Services also offers specialized programs:
- The Women’s Healthy Weight Program takes an approach that does not involve traditional restrictive dieting. Although weight is monitored, we do not focus on a number, but rather on achieving a healthy lifestyle and developing a positive relationship with food. Call 401-793-7817.
- Our adolescent weight management program called CHANGES (Creating Healthy Attitudes, Nutrition Goals and Exercise Strength) helps adolescents and families develop healthier lifestyles and gain control over their weight. Call 401-793-8829.
- Lifespan’s Nutrition Services provides nutrition counseling on an individual, outpatient basis by registered dietitians, licensed by the State of Rhode Island. They are trained in all areas of nutrition and provide nutrition counseling to help prevent or control many conditions, including obesity and weight management issues.
- The Nutrition Teaching Center at Hasbro Children’s Hospital provides customized nutrition education, nutrition counseling, and personalized support to patients’ parents and caregivers. Our staff of pediatric registered, licensed dietitians can help optimize a child’s nutrition, which can improve medical outcomes and health.
Rose struggled with her weight from childhood.
Follow her journey to a healthier life.