Women's Cardiac Center at the Lifespan Cardiovascular Institute
Our Services at the Women's Cardiac Center
At the Women’s Cardiac Center, we offer a multidisciplinary approach to specialized cardiac care for women.
Conditions We Treat
We treat the full spectrum of cardiovascular conditions, with specialized expertise in diagnosing and treating women with difficult to manage, complex, or confusing conditions. We have expertise in treating heart conditions in specific patients:
- Pregnant and postpartum women
- We offer ongoing care for pregnancy-related cardiac conditions, including postpartum risk assessments.
- We are experienced in treating women with cardiovascular issues who would like preconception counseling.
- Women with heart disease caused by cancer treatment or complicated by cancer
- Women with menopause-related cardiac health concerns
Evaluation and Diagnostics
Cardiovascular diseases and stroke are the number one cause of death in American women and, alarmingly, almost two-thirds of women who died suddenly had no symptoms. Because symptoms in women are subtler than in men, women are less likely to go to the emergency room when experiencing symptoms, and women may receive less aggressive treatment when they do go to the hospital.
At the Women’s Cardiac Center, our goal is to address this disparity in the recognition and treatment of heart disease. Each new patient at the Women’s Cardiac Center has a complete review of her medical, family, and social history, and a comprehensive cardiovascular physical examination. Additional cardiac testing such as blood tests, electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and stress testing may be provided as needed.
Preventive and Rehabilitative Services
In addition to offering a full range of clinical services, we offer cardiac rehabilitation and behavioral medicine services to help women learn about and sustain behaviors that can improve their cardiac health and quality of life. Among our preventive and rehabilitative services are the following:
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs, which offer both cardiac rehabilitation and maintenance and prevention programs
- The lipid and prevention program dedicated to reducing the risk of first and recurrent heart attacks in at-risk adults
- Programs that help women adopt and sustain behaviors that can improve cardiac health and quality of life:
- behavioral medicine program
- weight loss programs
- a smoking cessation program
- nutrition counseling
- physical therapy
- mindfulness-based stress reduction group sessions to help patients cope with stress, anger, anxiety and loss
- fitness and exercise programs
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 401-793-7870.