Christopher D. Houck, PhD, has been a staff psychologist at Rhode Island Hospital and assistant professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Brown University since 2005. He is also a former research associate at Rhode Island Hospital.
Houck received a BA in psychology with highest honors from the University of Michigan. He completed graduate studies in Clinical Psychology at the University of Florida with a concentration in Clinical Child/Pediatric Psychology.
Additional training included an APA accredited internship in Clinical Psychology at Children’s Hospital of Orange County in California and a postdoctoral Fellowship in Pediatric Psychology at Brown University’s Clinical Psychology Training Consortium.
Houck has been principal or co-investigator of many research studies, including several focusing on affect management for early adolescents and the development and evaluation of risk prevention interventions for at-risk early adolescents.
- Swenson, R.R., Houck, C.D., Barker, D., & Brown, L.K. (in press).Prospective analysis of the transition to sexual experience and changes in sexual self-esteem among male and female adolescents attending therapeutic schools. Journal of Adolescence.
- Tolou-Shams, M., Houck, C.D., Conrad, S., Tarantino, N., Stein, L., & Brown, L.K. (in press). HIV prevention for juvenile drug court offenders: A randomized controlled trial focusing on affect management. Journal of Correctional Health Care.
- Houck, C.D., Nugent, N., Lescano, C.M., Peters, A., Brown, L.K. (2010). Sexual abuse and sexual risk behavior: Beyond the impact of psychiatric problems. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 35, 473-483. PMID 19966316, PMCID: PMC2910940.
- Lescano, C.M., Houck, C.D., Brown, L.K., Doherty, G., DiClemente, R.J., Fernandez, M.I., Pugatch, D., & Schlenger, W.E., Silver, B.J., and Project SHIELD Study Group. (2009). Correlates of heterosexual anal sex among at-risk adolescents and young adults. American Journal of Public Health, 99, 1131-1136. PMID 19008522.
- Houck, C.D., Lescano, C., Brown, L.K., Tolou-Shams, M., Thompson, J. and Project SHIELD. (2006). “Islands of risk”: Identifying subtypes of adolescents at risk for HIV. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 31, 619-629.