Find a Doctor
Dr. Keitner is a psychiatrist at Lifespan. He is Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry, The Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.
He completed his psychiatric residency at McMaster University in Canada where he received specialized training in psychopharmacology and family therapy. He worked at Butler Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island from 1980 to 1996 as Director of the Mood Disorders Program and Medical Director for Inpatient Services.
Dr. Keitner's major research interests are:
- Psychosocial factors and treatments affecting the course and outcome of major depression and bipolar disorders.
- Evaluating the effectiveness and indications for combining psychopharmacology, psychotherapy and family therapy in the treatment of mood disorders.
- Psychopharmacological treatment trials.
- The assessment of family functioning and its relationship to the course and outcome of psychiatric disorders.
- The assessment of family functioning in the community.
- The assessment of family functioning in patients with depression in different cultures.
- The effectiveness of disease management models for treatment resistant forms of depression.
- Simplified multidimensional outcome measures.
Dr. Keitner has published over 120 articles in peer reviewed journals. He is co-author of three books on family functioning and family therapy. He is a frequently invited speaker at national and international conferences and has conducted workshops on family therapy in many different parts of the world. He has received external funding for research from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), foundations and industry.