Providing award-winning health care to patients on Aquidneck Island and beyond
Newport Hospital Awards and Recognition
Featured Awards and Recognition
Newport Hospital’s rehabilitation program received the Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence award for outstanding patient experience four years in a row – 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
Our greatest reward is caring for our patients. That’s why we’re committed to turning treatment guidelines into lifelines.
- In 2019, Newport Hospital received Magnet designation for the fourth time. Magnet recognition is considered the gold standard for nursing excellence.
- In 2018 Newport Hospital reached an aggressive goal of treating stroke patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care as outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for one calendar year. In addition, we have demonstrated 75 percent compliance to (seven out of ten stroke quality measures) during the 12-month period.
- In 2017, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island named Newport Hospital a Blue Distinction Center for knee and hip replacement. Hospitals are designated as Blue Distinction Centers in recognition of their expertise in delivering quality care and improved patient safety, based on objective clinical measures that result in better outcomes for patients.
- Newport Hospital was recognized as a “high performer” in treatment for heart failure by U.S. News & World Report in its 2018-2019 Best Regional Hospitals rankings.
- In spring 2019, Newport Hospital earned an "A" grade for hospital safety from the national nonprofit, The Leapfrog Group.
- In 2018, Newport Hospital was among a select group nationwide that received a silver award in recognition of its efforts to promote enrollment in state organ donor registries. The Workplace Partnership for Life hospital campaign, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), spotlights the critical need for organ, eye, and tissue donors.
- Newport Hospital was named one of the best regional hospitals by U.S. News & World Report in 2015 and 2016.
- In 2017, Newport Hospital received The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval for health care quality and safety. The Joint Commission also named Newport Hospital a Top Performer on key quality measures in 2014.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute earned the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer in 2013 and 2015.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute sites at Rhode Island Hospital, The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital named to Becker's Hospital Review 2015 “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs.”
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute at Rhode Island Hospital was recognized in both 2012 and 2015 by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Certification Program for delivering high-quality patient care.
- In 2016, Newport Hospital was among a group of hospitals in Rhode Island to be ranked third nationwide for support of breastfeeding by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- For the fourth consecutive time, the Noreen Stonor Drexel Birthing Center has been designated a Baby-Friendly ® hospital by the World Health Organization and the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund for its outstanding support of breastfeeding mothers and infants. First approved in 2003, the birthing center's designation will continue through 2023.
- Newport Hospital has been certified as a Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission.
- The American College of Radiology has certified Newport Hospital as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
- Newport Hospital has earned accreditation and recognition from the American Association of Blood Banks, the College of American Pathologists, the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities and the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.