Hospital responds to broccoli recall
Rhode Island Hospital was notified by Mann Packing of Salinas, California, late Thursday afternoon that a supply of uncooked broccoli was among vegetables subject to a product recall over concerns of potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Hospital staff immediately removed the uncooked broccoli from the cafeteria. The uncooked broccoli was present in the hospital’s cafeteria salad bar on Wednesday, Oct. 18 and Thursday, Oct. 19.
Mann Packing recalled its product in response to a single positive result found during random sampling by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. To date, public health officials have not reported any illnesses associated with these vegetables.
Listeria can cause food poisoning and serious infection in certain risk groups such as in pregnant women, solid organ or bone marrow transplant recipients, people taking steroids (such as prednisone), people with HIV infection, malignancy (cancer), cirrhosis (advanced liver disease), diabetes, renal disease, or heart disease. Symptoms of Listeria infection include fever, gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms (such as diarrhea), headache and neck stiffness. Symptoms usually develop two to three weeks after eating food contaminated by the Listeria bacteria, but could present up to two months later.
Anyone who may have eaten uncooked broccoli in the Rhode Island Hospital cafeteria on Wednesday, Oct. 18 and Thursday, Oct. 19 and develops symptoms such as fever, headache, neck stiffness, diarrhea or other GI symptoms within the next two months should notify his or her physician of potential exposure to Listeria. Women who are pregnant should contact their obstetrician, even if they do not have symptoms. Learn more about Listeria at https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/faq.html.