Newport Hospital’s Fitness for Function Exercise Program Starts Sept. 7
What: The Fitness for Function program is for people who would like to exercise in a safe environment with trained leaders to:
- Increase joint mobility, flexibility and muscle strength
- Manage pain
- Stay motivated
Program goals include understanding the relationship between health and exercise; learning how to exercise safely and comfortably and making exercise fun; gathering tips and resources to encourage maintaining exercise; and learning about other helpful programs, resources, and fitness programs. Participants must be able to transfer to a chair independently.
If participants answer no to all of the questions below, they can most likely participate in the program with no problem. If they answer yes to any of the questions below, they should probably check with their health care practitioner before participating. Do you have:
- Heart trouble?
- Chest pains or pain on left side (neck, shoulder, arm) or breathlessness when physically active?
- Often feel faint or have dizzy spells?
- Have high blood pressure?
- Have bone or joint problems that could worsen with physical activity?
- Are over 50 and have not been physically active?
When: Wednesdays and Fridays 10 to 11 a.m. from Sept.7 through Oct. 14
Where: Newport Hospital, seventh floor conference room
The cost for the six-week program (12 classes) is $24. Registration is required. Please call 401-845-1845 to register.