Find a Doctor
Nicole Nugent, PhD joined the faculty at the Bradley Hasbro Children’s Research Center in 2009. Licensed in clinical psychology, she is also an assistant professor of psychiatry and human behavior at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and presently has a visiting scientist academic appointment at the department of society, human development, and health at the Harvard School of Public Health.
Nugent earned her undergraduate degree at Wittenberg University, her master’s degree at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, and her doctoral degree at Kent State University. She completed her clinical internship at the Medical University of South Carolina Charleston Consortium and completed a T32 postdoctoral fellowship through The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University department of psychiatry and human behavior clinical psychology training consortium.
Nicole Nugent’s research interests focus on the interplay of neurobiological and environmental influences on child and adolescent responses to traumatic and chronic stress. More specifically, her research has spanned child and adolescent responses to traumatic and chronic stressors including pediatric injury, family violence, sexual abuse, disaster, and HIV diagnosis.
Areas of Expertise
A member of the American Psychological Association, Behavior Genetics Association, and the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, Nugent has authored more than 25 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
- Houck, C.D., Nugent, N.R., Lescano, C.M., Peters, A.A., & Brown, L.K. (2010). Impact of sexual abuse on sexual behaviors, sexual attitudes, and psychological adjustment in alternative schools. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 35 (5), 473-483.
- Nugent, N.R., Brown, L.K., Belzer, M., Harper, G.W., Naar-king, S., Nachman, S. (2010). Adherence, sex risk behaviors, and health indicators in high-risk youth living with HIV. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (JIAPAC), 9(2), 113-115.
- Nugent, N.R., Christopher, N.C., Crow, J.P., Luzader, J., Ostrowski, S., Delahanty, D.L. (2010). The efficacy of early propranolol administration at reducing PTSD symptoms in child trauma victims: A pilot study. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23(2), 282-287.
- Nugent, N.R., Saunders, B.E., Williams, L.M., Hanson, R., Smith, D.W., Fitzgerald, M.M. (2009). Posttraumatic stress symptom trajectories in children living in families reported for family violence. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 22, 460-466.
- Amstadter, A.B., Nugent, N.R., Koenen, K.C., Ruggiero, K.J., Acierno, R., Galea, S., Kilpatrick, D.G., Gelernter, J. (2009). Association between COMT gene and increased smoking following hurricane exposure in an epidemiologic sample. Psychiatry, 72 (4), 360-369. NIHMSID: NIHMS127405