Medication Take Back
Safe Medication Disposal at Lifespan Pharmacy
Lifespan Pharmacy is committed to providing our communities with a safe place to get rid of unwanted, unused, or expired medications. Drug Enforcement Administration-approved MedSafe collection receptacles, now available at all five Lifespan Pharmacy locations, are “drop boxes” that allow for convenient, safe disposal of medications.
Items Accepted for Disposal
Items listed below can be disposed of at all Lifespan Pharmacy locations:
- Prescription medications, including Schedule II-V controlled substances
- Over-the-counter medications
- Liquid medications (Less than 4 oz. in a zip-lock bag)
Certain items cannot be disposed of at LIfespan Pharmacy locations:
- Illegal (Schedule I) drugs
- Needles/syringes or sharps containers
- Medical devices
- Aerosol cans or inhalers
- Mercury-containing devices
- Liquid antineoplastic agents, including chemotherapy and cytotoxic drugs
Users are encouraged to remove identifying patient information from labels prior to disposal.
Receptacles are intended for patient use only—hospital medications should be disposed of using current approved procedures.
Importance of Safe Medication Disposal
Unused or expired drugs are a major safety concern across the country. They result in many of the most severe cases of accidental ingestion by children, and according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s 2019 National Survey, 9.7 million people misused prescription pain relievers, 4.9 million misused prescription stimulants, and 5.9 million misused prescription tranquilizers or sedatives in that year alone.
Flushing unused medicine down the drain—a common tactic for disposal—should be avoided, as pharmaceuticals can pollute your community’s waterways. Drug take back programs and sanctioned disposal sites are the best way to dispose of unwanted medications.
If you are not able to access a take back site or drop box, check the Food and Drug Administration’s “flush list” for medications with a high abuse potential that should be flushed immediately.
MedSafe receptacles are available during operating hours at all Lifespan Pharmacy locations.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Program
- Specialty Drug Patient Management Program
- About Lifespan Pharmacy
- Meds to Beds Program
- Medication Packaging
- Medication Take Back
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Directions and Hours for Lifespan Pharmacy Locations
- Customer Feedback
- Lifespan Pharmacy Residency