Partial Hospital Program For Medical Psychiatric Patients
Ages 6 to 18
Our partial hospital program, which opened in 1998, is the only day treatment program in New England for children with combined medical and psychiatric illness. The program is available as a step down from inpatient care or as a step up from outpatient care. It offers a safe, nurturing environment that allows children and families to participate in activities and therapy in a climate of healing five days per week—while also providing access to the same range of services as those available to patients admitted to our inpatient unit, including consultation with specialists and comprehensive diagnostic testing.
The program is located in newly renovated and expanded space in the Potter Building on the Hasbro Children’s/Rhode Island Hospital campus. Children spend an average of three to four weeks in the program, arriving Monday through Friday at 7:30 a.m. and leaving at 3:30 p.m. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are served. Children receive daily pediatric and psychiatric assessment and treatment.
Partial Hospital Program Services include:
- Pediatric and nursing monitoring
- Individual and family therapy
- Nutritional services
- Group therapy
- Instruction in a skills-building curriculum focused on mindfulness, cognitive and behavioral coping strategies, and healthy emotional expression
- 90 minutes daily of educational programming, coordinated with your child's school
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and biofeedback as needed
Our program has a maximum enrollment of 24 patients at any one time. Three separate milieu areas allow us to group patients by age and developmental level.