Burn Calories at the Office
We all know we should exercise. It is good for our hearts, minds, and stress levels. Getting active is also beneficial for your waistline, managing weight, cholesterol, and more.
But what if you just cannot seem to find the time to fit a workout into your routine? Turn your office into your gym! There are things you can do throughout the day that will burn calories and keep your metabolism up.
Weight Loss Services
Lifespan offers an extensive range of programs that provide the most comprehensive, integrated care to help our patients achieve and maintain their weight loss and wellness goals.
- Park as far away from the entrance as possible.
- Forget the elevator and take the stairs.
- Move during phone calls – stand with legs wide and lift your heels up toward the back of your thigh on alternating legs.
- Get a desk stepper for under your desk.
- Stand up often and do a set of squats or lunges each time.
- Try standing to work for as long as you can tolerate it.
- Use a central trash can rather than having one in your office or cubicle.
- When possible, opt for walking meetings rather than sitting at a table – get your coworkers involved in healthy on-the-go meetings.
- Use the restroom on a different floor and take the stairs.
- Do push-ups. Place your palms on a flat surface like your desk or the coffee counter, walk your feet backward until you are on a diagonal plane. Bend at the elbows and lower your chest to the desk/counter, then push yourself back up.
- Go for a walk or do walking errands during your lunch break.
- Use an exercise ball instead of a desk chair to engage your muscles and keep you balanced.
- Make your muscles work while you do – tighten your glute muscles while sitting and hold it. Remember to breathe. Do the same with your abdominals, or better yet, try abs and glutes at the same time.
- Eat healthy snacks like a handful of nuts or a fruit.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day from a water cooler on another floor.
- Keep hand weights in your office and lift them while talking on the phone. Work your biceps, triceps, and shoulders while in your chair.
- Get ankle weights and do leg lifts under your desk.
- Let your smartphone prompt you. Set the timer for 30 minutes as a reminder to get up, move, and stretch.
- Always maintain good posture to keep your muscles engaged. Sit straight, shoulders back, and with your feet on the floor.
- Keep a mat in your cubicle and do a plank once an hour. Hold it for as long as you can, building up more time each time you plank.
For other ways to keep active in the winter, read this related blog post "Why You Need to Keep Moving This Winter."
About the Author:
Lifespan Blog Team
The Lifespan Blog Team is working to provide you with timely and pertinent information that will help keep you and your family happy and healthy.
Find a Doctor
The right provider is in our network
Search more than 1,200 providers in our network.
- Center for Weight and Wellness
- Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery