Find a Doctor Disclaimer
“Find a Doctor” is operated by Lifespan and includes all physicians who are on the medical staffs of Lifespan-affiliated hospitals, without any charge to them. Selection is based upon your needs and preferences. Search results will first present, in alphabetical order, physicians employed or contracted with Lifespan or its affiliates, followed by an alphabetical listing of physicians who are in Lifespan’s network of affiliated providers. At the end of that initial list, you can access an alphabetical listing of community physicians with privileges at Lifespan hospitals. All physicians in Find a Doctor have the opportunity to have a picture or video posted on the site. Neither the order of physicians, nor the presence or absence of a photo or video, in Find a Doctor is intended to reflect any preference, priority, or recommendation by Lifespan. Find a Doctor search results are also not based on the volume or value of referrals to Lifespan or its affiliates from any listed physician. Users are free to select their physician of choice from among all Lifespan-affiliated medical staff physicians.
Dr. Keitner is a psychiatrist at Lifespan. He is Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry, The Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.
He completed his psychiatric residency at McMaster University in Canada where he received specialized training in psychopharmacology and family therapy. He worked at Butler Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island from 1980 to 1996 as Director of the Mood Disorders Program and Medical Director for Inpatient Services.
Dr. Keitner's major research interests are:
- Psychosocial factors and treatments affecting the course and outcome of major depression and bipolar disorders.
- Evaluating the effectiveness and indications for combining psychopharmacology, psychotherapy and family therapy in the treatment of mood disorders.
- Psychopharmacological treatment trials.
- The assessment of family functioning and its relationship to the course and outcome of psychiatric disorders.
- The assessment of family functioning in the community.
- The assessment of family functioning in patients with depression in different cultures.
- The effectiveness of disease management models for treatment resistant forms of depression.
- Simplified multidimensional outcome measures.
Dr. Keitner has published over 120 articles in peer reviewed journals. He is co-author of three books on family functioning and family therapy. He is a frequently invited speaker at national and international conferences and has conducted workshops on family therapy in many different parts of the world. He has received external funding for research from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), foundations and industry.
Family Therapy Program, East Providence, RI
950 Warren Avenue, Suite 104
East Providence, RI 02914
- Medical School: Queen's University, Faculty of Medicine, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Residency: Cheddoke Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario
- Residency: McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton, Ontario
Areas of Expertise
- Mood Disorders
- Family Therapy
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry