Puberty, Sexual Health and Contraception Services
Puberty and sexuality are critical aspects of human development. At Lifespan, we aim to help children, families, and young adults smoothly navigate the journey to maturity.
Our experts offer thorough education and guidance about puberty, including the particular issues this life stage presents for children with special needs.
For teens and young adults, we provide sexual health education, including how to prevent sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancy.
Make an Appointment
For New Patients
Call 401-444-4712 to make an appointment.
Check our new patient information page to learn what information is needed for your appointment.
For Current Patients
Call 401-444-5980 to make an appointment, or schedule an appointment online at MyLifespan
Providers: Refer a Patient
To refer a patient, please fax a referral to 401-444-3873.
We care for children, teens, and young adults who are gender-nonconforming or trans-identified. At Lifespan, we understand that people identify with, and express, gender in a wide variety of ways, and that gender and sexuality may be fluid, changing during the course of a person’s lifetime. We are here to meet your health needs and provide education and emotional support to you and your family.
Our clinicians provide developmentally appropriate, sensitive, and confidential care to patients of all ages. Our focus is on helping young people to be informed about, and comfortable with, their bodies and to manage sexual decision-making in safe and healthy ways.
Among the services we offer:
- Guidance for parents
- Evaluation of and treatment for menstrual irregularity, or heavy, painful periods
- Comprehensive counseling, care, and services for transgender, gay, lesbian, and bisexual young people
- Contraceptive care
- Gynecologic care for genital pain and irritation, vaginal discharge and odor, labial adhesions, lichen sclerosus, and more
- Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections
- Pregnancy testing and options counseling
We help young women understand the range of contraceptives that are available and help them choose what is right for them, including:
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs)
- The “implant” (Nexplanon)
- The “Depo shot” (Depo Provera)
- The ring, patch, and birth control pills
- Emergency contraception
- Counseling for unintended pregnancy
We recognize that every patient is unique. We try to listen carefully to what is important to you, make sure you understand all the options for care, and help you decide what best meets your needs. We work with children, families and young adults in ways that support choice and are sensitive to diversity.