Preparing for Your Bone Density Exam
Safety is our top priority.
We want to assure you that we are here for you. While the coronavirus has changed much of our daily lives, one thing that has remained constant is our commitment to providing you with the best, safest care possible.
Preparing for Your Exam
IMPORTANT: Due to the rapidly changing coronavirus COVID-19 situation, please review this information before visiting any Lifespan facility or outpatient practice for an appointment or procedure. If needed, please call 401-444-7770 to reschedule your appointment.
Prior to the Exam
- Do not take calcium supplements, Tums or multi-vitamins for 24 hours before your appointment. Take your other medications as prescribed.
- You may eat foods that contain calcium.
- Bone density tests must be scheduled before any contrast exam (upper Gl, small bowel follow through, barium enema or CT scan with oral contrast) or wait 10 days after contrast study to schedule.
On the Day of the Exam
- Please bring your insurance card, a photo ID and any written referral forms provided by your health care provider.
- Remove body piercings located below the neck if possible.
- Do not wear underwire bras or clothing with metal buttons, zippers, metallic paint or threads.
- Please leave any personal belongings (jewelry, glasses, etc.) at home when having an outpatient exam performed at any of our facilities to avoid misplacement.