Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with the Lifespan Cancer Institute, please call 1-844-222-2881.
The Center for Gynecologic Cancers is a cooperative, multidisciplinary program between the Women’s Medicine Collaborative and the Lifespan Cancer Institute. It is specifically designed to provide leading-edge, individualized, nonsurgical and surgical care for women diagnosed with, or at high risk for, gynecologic cancers.
"No matter how nervous I am to come through the door, Michelle’s warmth and kindness at the front desk makes it so very much easier. Sincerely, I could not have made it through this journey without this team, and will be forever grateful." - Sara, 52 years old, West Warwick, RI
All our physicians are board certified. As faculty members of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, they participate in ongoing national and international cancer research and the education and training of the next generation of physicians.
The center treats the following conditions:
- Cervical cancer
- Endometrial cancer and other uterine cancers
- Ovarian cancer and fallopian tube cancer
- Primary peritoneal cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Gestational trophoblastic disease
- Benign tumors of gynecologic organs
- Abnormal pap smears
- Inherited predisposition to gynecologic or breast cancer
Our specialists focus on gynecologic malignancies and provide the highest quality care, with access to the most advanced therapies and treatments. The team includes:
- gynecologic surgical oncologists
- medical oncologists
- radiation oncologists
- nurse practitioners
- nurse navigators
- social workers
- rehabilitation therapists
experts in genetics, cancer research and survivorship
This is the only such program in Rhode Island in a tertiary care, full-service hospital. Our high level of expertise includes:
- Biweekly tumor boards: The team meets to discuss the unique circumstances of each patient’s condition and treatment plan and ensure that the plans are tailored to each patient’s needs. Every patient is considered for current research trials and has access to evidence-based, state-of-the-art care. The team keeps the patient’s primary care physician informed about the patient’s plan, progress, and future care.
- Patient-centered medical home: Care is guided by the principle that the best health care is team-based, with the patient at the center of the team. The team works together to coordinate services, make referrals to specialists, provide education, and encourage each patient and family to be active partners in their health care decisions.
Oncology nursing and nurse navigators: Our full-time nurses are oncology certified and trained in oncology, with an in-depth understanding of gynecologic cancers. Our nurse navigators are qualified professionals who see every new patient and remain the primary point of contact throughout treatment, scheduling and attending physician appointments with patients and their families, guiding them through the health care system and their course of treatment, coordinating services, facilitating communication with clinicians, arranging interpreters and transportation, assisting with insurance and financial questions, and providing education and emotional support.