Guidance and Support for Cancer Patients
Coping with cancer at any stage is difficult. To help patients and their families through this trying time, the Lifespan Cancer Institute offers the Nurse Navigator Program.
The program assists patients through the entire course of their cancer care. Navigators are registered nurses trained in oncology who possess an in-depth understanding of specific types of cancer and the process patients undergo. They guide patients through their diagnosis, treatment and recovery, while helping them make informed decisions and cope with the variety of issues they face.
Navigators follow patients before, during and after cancer treatments including chemotherapy, surgery and radiation therapy. They are available in person and by telephone to offer support and provide answers.
Nurse navigators guide patients through the health care system and the course of their treatment in several ways, including:
- Facilitating communication with health professionals (physicians, counselors, nutritionists and community-based support resources)
- Coordinating services to streamline and accelerate treatments
- Arranging interpreters and transportation
- Assisting with insurance and financial questions
- Providing emotional support to patients and their families
- Offering educational resources