Preparing for Your General Radiology Exam
Safety is our top priority.
We want to assure you that we are here for you. While the coronavirus has changed much of our daily lives, one thing that has remained constant is our commitment to providing you with the best, safest care possible.
Preparing for Your Exam
IMPORTANT: Due to the rapidly changing coronavirus COVID-19 situation, please review this information before visiting any Lifespan facility or outpatient practice for an appointment or procedure. If needed, please call 401-444-7770 to reschedule your appointment.
- For x-rays of the chest, abdomen, spine or extremities: No special preparation is necessary.
- For a barium swallow: Do not eat after midnight before the exam. You may take routine medications with a sip of water before the exam.
- For a barium enema: Obtain Miralax 255g (1 bottle), available at most pharmacies, 2 days prior to your exam. Mix with 64 ounces of clear liquid. Drink 8 ounces every 10 to 15 minutes over 2 hours starting at 6pm, the evening prior to your exam.
- For a small bowel series: Do not eat after midnight before your exam.
- For an upper GI series: Do not eat after midnight before your exam.
Please leave any personal belongings (jewelry, glasses, etc.) at home when having an outpatient exam performed at any of our facilities to avoid misplacement.