Preparing for Your Nuclear Medicine Exam
Please leave any personal belongings (jewelry, glasses, etc.) at home when having an outpatient exam performed at any of our facilities to avoid misplacement.
- No special prep before you arrive, but you will need to drink three to four glasses of water after you receive your injection.
- Fast for a minimum of six hours before the study.
Hepatobiliary Scan with Ejection Fraction (EF)
- Do not eat or drink four hours prior.
Nuclear Stress Testing
- Do not eat or drink for four hours prior. If you are scheduled for a pharmacologic stress test, refrain from caffeine products 24 hours prior to the exam.
- Come to the department well hydrated. Drink two to three glasses of water before your test.
- The patient should refrain from eating shellfish, or other iodine-containing substances such as vitamins and medications, for one week prior to the study.
- Consult your physician regarding withholding specific medications.
- The patient should not have had any iodine contrast studies such as a CT scan for eight weeks prior to the exam.
- No iodized salt for one week prior to the study.