Rhode Island Hospital serves as the Level I Trauma Center for southeastern New England. We are verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I Trauma Center with both adult and pediatric capability.
Level I is the highest designation a trauma center can receive. It means the entire hospital has committed itself to the care of trauma patients and offers the highest level of expert skill and precision available in trauma care.
To maintain our Level I status, we must demonstrate that we have an ongoing quality assurance program, maintain a standard response for treatment of major trauma and have a trauma surgeon and anesthesiologist available at all times.
Our trauma staff and other hospital departments stand ready to provide the best possible care for patients at a moment's notice. The coordinated life-saving effort at Rhode Island Hospital includes:
- certified trauma surgeons
- nurses trained and experienced in delivering acute care
- operating rooms open and staffed around the clock
- state-of-the-art imaging and monitoring equipment, which helps us provide quick evaluation and diagnosis
- rescue squads and response teams that are prepared to maximize pre-hospital care and fast transport
Refer a Patient
If you would like to refer a patient or arrange for a patient transfer, please call us at 401-444-3000.
Nurses, physicians and other providers interested in the care of trauma patients, contact us to learn more about our annual trauma conferences held each fall.