Adult Transgender and Sexuality Behavioral Health Program
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment or for more information, please call us at 401-606-3711.
The Adult Transgender and Sexuality Behavioral Health Program is unique because it focuses specifically on the behavioral health needs of adult transgender and nonbinary individuals, and is led by a psychiatrist with a background in providing hormonal, medical, and psychiatric care to transgender patients across their lifespan. The program is well positioned to collaborate with hormonal prescribers in order to provide comprehensive care.
The program offers psychosocial support, behavioral health, and wellness services for anyone over 18 years of age who wishes to explore issues associated with their gender identity. The goal of this innovative program is to provide care in a safe, affirming, and respectful environment that welcomes gender exploration across the spectrum, including nonbinary identities.
Program director Agnieszka Janicka, MD, is a psychiatrist who has experience providing both psychiatric and hormonal care for transgender and nonbinary individuals. Dr. Janicka works in close collaboration with hormonal providers within the Lifespan system to address the specific needs of each individual before, during, and after transition. The program follows the standards set forth in the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standard of Care.
- New patient gender specialty consults
- Support in gender exploration across the spectrum
- Consultation regarding options for transition, assistance with navigating issues related to transition, and exploration of goals for the social and/or physical transition journey
- Support with referrals to Lifespan and community providers to access appropriate medications and feminizing and masculinizing hormones
- Individual therapy
- Couples therapy
- Family therapy
- Consultation, psychoeducation, and support for parents of gender-variant children
- Psychological and psychiatric evaluations and treatment for individuals struggling with comorbid depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns
- A comprehensive mental health assessment by a psychiatrist for anyone seeking gender-affirming surgery, along with letters of support
- Culturally competent gender training for clinical sites and departments