Committed to Our Community's Safety
The mission of the Injury Prevention Center (IPC) is to reduce injuries in our region. The IPC develops and implements community-based injury prevention projects, conducts injury control research and educates health professionals, policy makers and the public about the burden of injury in Rhode Island.
Each year, Rhode Island experiences:
- Hundreds of injury-related deaths
- Thousands of injury-related hospitalizations
- Countless injuries leading to disability
Many of these injuries can be avoided by studying and developing programs aimed at preventing injuries from occurring. For this reason, emergency department physicians at Rhode Island Hospital created the Injury Prevention Center in 1998.
What We Do
The Injury Prevention Center:
- Conducts research
- Develops and implements community-based programs
- Educates professionals, policymakers and the public about the importance of injury prevention