Injury Prevention Center
Top 5 Toy Safety Tips For Parents
- Stay up to date with toy recalls. Check the Consumer Product Safety Commission website for information about toy recalls http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/.
- Find a safe area for riding toys. Keep children away from stairs or other places where they may fall.
- Avoid toys with long cords or strings for younger children. These can present a choking hazard.
- Inspect toys. Inspect toys periodically to make sure they are in good condition with no sharp edges or broken parts. Throw away any broken toys.
- Be label readers. Look for the age recommendations and use these as a guide. Always choose toys that are appropriate for your child’s age and developmental stage.