Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Inpatient Services
Vanderbilt Rehabilitation offers an exceptional inpatient unit at Newport Hospital for those requiring rehabilitative care.
The unit provides intensive rehabilitative therapy for patients recovering from serious conditions, including:
- Neurological including stroke, spinal cord injury, and brain injury
- Orthopedic and traumatic injuries
- Other serious medical illness
The goal of rehabilitation is to help patients regain lost function so they can live as independently as possible. This could include regaining skills necessary for daily activities; maximizing muscle control and strength; improving balance and mobility, the ability to swallow or eat, speech and communication skills; and minimizing discomfort and cognitive deficits.
Members of the patient’s clinical team participate in the patient’s care throughout treatment, rehabilitation and recovery.
The rehabilitation process is fully integrated into each patient’s total care plan, and therapists work closely with the patient’s physicians.
The Difference with Vanderbilt Rehabilitation
Private rooms are available at the inpatient rehabilitation unit at Newport Hospital, designed for patients who require intensive, multidisciplinary rehabilitation programs, including at least three hours of therapy per day, at least five days per week.
The unit offers skilled nursing, physician-directed therapy programs, and are supported by the broad medical resources of the Lifespan medical staff, with laboratory services, pharmacy, diagnostic imaging on site.
Each patient’s care plan is individually designed to address the special care needs of the patient, maximize their abilities and minimize dysfunction.
Facility Highlights at Newport Hospital
- Private patient rooms available
- Experienced staff and health care providers
- Convenient location for patients from Rhode Island, Eastern Connecticut, and Southeastern Massachusetts
- Easy access to all services offered by Lifespan including physician visits and diagnostic imaging
- Opportunities for real-life community reintegration with restaurants, retail stores and outdoor spaces