The aim of BALANCE (Breathe, Act, Learn About Nutrition, Control, Exercise) is to help young people and their families learn how thinking and feeling can affect everyday behaviors, and how movement and nutrition affect overall well-being.
BALANCE provides cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness activities, and healthy lifestyle education for adolescents as well as support and guidance for parents or guardians.
BALANCE is an individualized afterschool program. After the initial 90-minute evaluation, teens and their parents participate in:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) focusing on mood, nutrition, and health
- Individual, parent and joint sessions
- Mindfulness practice
- Implementation of more movement and physical activity into daily life
This occurs in 60-minute sessions, tailored to the teen and families presenting needs.
Teens and parents or guardians are also invited to share in a monthly holistic group activity with their adolescent focusing on decreasing stress and improving health.
The group promotes connections with others and strategies for healthier eating and daily exercise, while encouraging activities that enhance mood and build self-confidence.
How to Join BALANCE
Adolescents 13 to 18 years old (preteens considered) who agree to:
- Complete an initial evaluation to determine eligibility
- Be open to individual treatment with a CBT focus and family sessions
- Consider participation in group treatment with other teens and families
- Adopt healthier eating habits and explore ways to incorporate more daily movement
Eligible teens must have one caregiver willing to participate in the BALANCE program. Teens may continue to work with their mental health providers while also attending the BALANCE program.
Insurance will be billed for the program. Copays and deductibles may apply. Please check with your insurance provider for details about coverage.
For more information, please call 401-432-1081.