Hasbro Children's Hospital
How to Prepare for a Pediatric Pulmonology Test
- Please make sure we have the best phone number available to reach you one day prior to the procedure.
- Do not feed your child for approximately six hours before the bronchoscopy. He or she may have clear liquids, but must not drink anything four hours before the test.
- Bring your child's favorite toy or blanket for their comfort.
- Write down the names of the medications your child takes, the dosages and when you give them. Give this list to the nurse when you arrive.
- You may be given a special cream to put on your child's arm. This cream numbs the arm where an IV may be started. If you were given this cream, put it on your child's arm about one hour before you arrive. Your nurse or doctor will tell you where to apply the cream.
After the Test
Your child will be watched closely after the test until he or she is fully awake. Most children are fully awake within one to two hours after the test. At that point, your child will either stay in the hospital or go home, depending on whether other treatments or tests are planned.
For more information, please contact us: