Stroke Services at Lifespan
Comprehensive and Primary Stroke Centers at Lifespan
Stroke services are available at Rhode Island Hospital, The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital.
Rhode Island Hospital is the first hospital in the state to be designated a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. Comprehensive stroke centers evaluate and treat the most complex stroke cases and provide comprehensive services focused on acute management, risk factor modification, and recovery.
The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital each are certified by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center, which means they meet rigorous national standards in caring for stroke patients.
Stroke Warning Signs
If you notice one or more of these signs in yourself or someone else, don't wait! Stroke is a medical emergency.
Call 911 immediately.
Learn how to recognize a stroke FAST:
- Face-Drooping on one side of the face
- Arms-Weakness or numbness in one arm
- Speech-Slurred speech
- Time-Saving time saves brain cells
All stroke symptoms are sudden. Do not ignore symptoms even if they go away.
- Call 911. Care can begin as soon as the ambulance arrives.
- Check the time so you'll know when the stroke started.
- At the hospital, say, "I think I'm having a stroke."