Comprehensive Stroke Center
The Only Comprehensive Stroke Center in Rhode Island
Rhode Island Hospital is the only hospital in the state to be designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. We provide care to more than 1,100 patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) annually in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Comprehensive Stroke Centers demonstrate the ability to evaluate and treat the most complex stroke cases and provide comprehensive services focused on acute management, risk factor modification, and recovery.
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Rhode Island Hospital cares for patients in a state-of-the-art setting with access to the latest treatment and technology.
All stroke symptoms are sudden. Do not ignore symptoms even if they go away.
- Call 911. Care can begin as soon as the ambulance arrives.
- Check the time so you'll know when the stroke started.
- On the ambulance, and again at the hospital, say, “I think I’m having a stroke.”
What's a Comprehensive Stroke Center?
Comprehensive Stroke Centers are recognized as health care leaders and are responsible for setting the national agenda in highly specialized stroke care. Such centers require major clinical services compared to primary stroke centers, the hospital’s previous designation.
These advanced services include:
- Dedicated stroke neurological clinicians
- A dedicated neurological intensive care unit
- Vascular neurosurgery for aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations
- Vascular neurosurgery and vascular surgery for carotid endarterectomy
- A 20-bed inpatient unit that is entirely dedicated to the care of stroke patients
- Interventional neuroradiology for endovascular intracranial procedures
- An emergency department which serves as the gateway to the stroke center, and includes a dedicated transient ischemic attack (TIA) unit for patients with a high risk of impending stroke
- An inpatient rehabilitation unit for patients recovering from neurological disease or injury
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for intracranial vascular lesions not amenable to surgical resection
Rhode Island Hospital Comprehensive Stroke Center Recognized
Our greatest reward is caring for our patients. That’s why we’re committed to turning treatment guidelines into lifelines.
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Rhode Island Hospital has reached an aggressive goal of treating patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care as outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for three consecutive calendar years.
In addition, we have demonstrated 75 percent compliance to (at least 5 out of 8 stroke quality measures) during the 12-month period.
Comprehensive stroke centers evaluate and treat the most complex stroke cases and provide comprehensive services focused on acute management, risk factor modification, and recovery.
Learn more about the innovative stroke research and current clinical trials at the Comprehensive Stroke Center.
Her name is Faith. And after surviving two aneurysms, it fits.
Over 1,620 hospitals and clinics throughout Rhode Island, here are some featured locations:
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Rhode Island Hospital
Ambulatory Patient Center (APC Building)
110 Lockwood St., 5th Floor
Providence, RI 02903