Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
Millions of people in the United States have wounds that, quite simply, do not heal. The issue can be caused by peripheral vascular disease, lymphedema, diabetes, a weak immune system, or other problems or injury that affect the body's natural ability to restore normal tissue.
Lifespan’s Wound Care Program offers the full spectrum of wound care services at two locations in Rhode Island—East Providence and Newport. Our team includes highly trained specialists in general, vascular, and plastic surgery, and podiatry and orthopedics. Their goal is to heal chronic wounds as quickly and painlessly as possible. Our physicians focus on the underlying cause of the wound and by applying proven medical and surgical techniques through an individualized treatment plan for your recovery.
We conduct an individual evaluation for each patient, then work with your doctor to develop a personalized wound treatment plan. Treatment may begin during your first appointment.
Conditions We Treat
Our clinical teams include nationally and internationally recognized leaders in this field. Using the most advanced treatments and technology, they provide individualized treatment for a broad range of chronic, non-healing and complex wounds, including:
- Diabetic, pressure, arterial/ischemic, and venous ulcers
- Ulcers caused by bone infection, diseases, or medication
- Chronic refractory osteomyelitis
- Trauma, infected, and malignant wounds
- Minor burns or crush injuries
- Non-healing surgical wounds
- Delayed complications from radiation
- Compromised grafts or flaps
- Any wound that has not healed in four weeks
Services We Provide for Wound Care
We work to provide wound care that accelerates and optimizes the wound healing process. Treatments offered include:
- Pulsatile lavage (a wound-cleaning & debridement procedure)
- Non-surgical wound debridement and selective wound dressing application
- Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy (East Providence location only)
- Infection management
- Restoration of blood flow
- Debridement (ultrasonic and sharp)
- Negative pressure wound therapy
- Epidermal autologous skin grafting
- Advanced skin substitutes/bioengineered cellular tissue grafts
- Compression therapy to manage swelling
- Foot reconstruction
- Conventional skin grafts or flaps
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Comprehensive wound care related pain management
- Nutritional counseling
- Diabetes education
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Wound Healing
At the Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine in East Providence, our comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach, gives patients access to the broadest range of wound care related specialty services and features hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy assists your natural wound-healing mechanisms and expedites the healing process. This location offers the largest state-of-the-art hyperbaric chamber in New England.
Wound Care Facilities
Our wound centers are designed specifically for your comfort and convenience. Our rooms are specially designed with wound chairs and hydraulic beds, so you can remain seated or lie down comfortably during treatment. There is ample, free onsite parking, and our locations are easily accessible by RIPTA bus. Learn more about our wound care centers in East Providence, RI and Newport, RI.
Research and Clinical Trials
Patients can participate in leading-edge research protocols designed to develop new wound treatments. Under the guidance of Paul Liu, MD, the research division of the Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine works with pharmaceutical and medical technology companies to open a number of carefully selected clinical trials to determine the best and safest new products.
Our physicians play leading roles in national wound healing meetings, and spearhead active and successful basic science research efforts helping us understand hard-to-heal wounds.