Child Life Services
Support for Children and Families
The hospital experience for an infant, child or adolescent can be overwhelming. Child life specialists at Hasbro Children's Hospital are here to support children and families through this experience by responding to their psychosocial, developmental and educational needs.
Child life specialists provide patient and family centered care throughout the hospital, including the pediatric intensive care unit, emergency department, surgical services, various outpatient clinics and inpatient units.
Services that child life specialists provide during hospital visits can include:
- Providing developmentally appropriate play opportunities, including medical play.
- Preparation for tests, procedures, and/or surgery through the use of developmentally appropriate medical play and teaching materials.
- Supporting patients and families during health care events by providing emotional support and/or distraction.
- Offering choices to pediatric patients to enable them to make decisions, concentrate on play, enhance their natural creativity, and master new skills that will help them cope and adjust to being in the hospital.
- Helping pediatric patients maintain a sense of independence, self-esteem, and control.