Community Asthma Programs
Asthma can be a serious illness for children and adolescents to manage. At Hasbro Children's Hospital, we aim to educate our patients and help them manage their systems so that they may live life to the fullest.
Do you know the signs of asthma?
If your child has:
- Chronic coughing
- Tightness in the chest or wheezing, breathing through the month
- Increased pulse rate, feeling of nervousness, anxiety or irritability
Your child may have asthma. It is a serious and often debilitating condition, but it doesn't have to be. If your child has experienced these symptoms, call your pediatrician for an asthma evaluation.
Common triggers that can cause an asthma attack
- Irritants such as smoke, gases, fumes or perfumes
- Viral infections such as a sore throat, cold or flu
- Emotional stress
- Allergens (pollen, mold, cockroaches, dust mites or pet dander)
- Cold air, windy weather or a sudden change in air pressure
- Foods treated with sulfites
- Tobacco smoke
Find out more about asthma from the CVS/pharmacy Draw A Breath Asthma Education Program, which was created with the help of well-known Providence children's writer Chris Van Allsburg and his family.
For more information call 401-444-6540.