Community Asthma Programs
Hasbro Children's Hospital
Asthma can be a serious illness for children and adolescents to manage. At Hasbro Children's Hospital, we aim to educate our patients and help them manage their symptoms so that they may live life to the fullest.
For more information call 401-444-6540.
Do you know the signs of asthma?
If your child has:
- Chronic coughing
- Tightness in the chest or wheezing, breathing through the mouth
- Increased pulse rate, a feeling of nervousness, anxiety, or irritability
If these symptoms are present, your child may have asthma. It is a serious and often debilitating condition, but it doesn't have to be. If your child has experienced these symptoms, call your pediatrician for an asthma evaluation.
Common triggers that can cause an asthma attack
- Irritants such as smoke, gases, fumes, or perfumes
- Viral infections such as a sore throat, cold, or flu
- Emotional stress
- Allergens (pollen, mold, cockroaches, dust mites or pet dander)
- Cold air, windy weather, or a sudden change in air pressure
- Foods treated with sulfites
- Second-hand smoke
Find out more about asthma from the CVS/pharmacy Draw A Breath Asthma Education Program, which was created with the help of well-known Providence children's writer Chris Van Allsburg and his family.
CVS/pharmacy Draw A Breath is the largest asthma education program in Rhode Island.