Comprehensive HIV Primary and Specialty Care
HIV/AIDS is a leading cause of death in the world; approximately four million new infections occur each year. The Immunology Center employs world-renowned infectious diseases physicians dedicated to helping those with HIV/AIDS live longer, fuller lives.
The goal of the center is to provide comprehensive, up-to-date and compassionate care for all persons living with HIV. The multidisciplinary practice involves clinical care as well as a strong research component that offers patients early access to promising new therapies.
The center provides comprehensive care to more than 1,500 patients with HIV, provided by a team of physicians who are leaders in the recognition, diagnosis and treatment of HIV and STDs; nurses; social workers and case managers. More than 70 percent of the individuals in Rhode Island who are HIV-infected are connected with primary medical care through the center.
The center offers:
- Comprehensive care for HIV-infected patients
- A program for HIV-infected women that offers case management, clinical trials and gynecological care, including colposcopy
- Preconception counseling for HIV-infected women and men, including serodiscordant couples, as well as specialized care of HIV-infected pregnant women in collaboration with their obstetricians
- The country’s first HIV and menopause clinic
- An HIV program for adolescents that offers intensive care and long-term support
- One of the country’s first HIV/viral hepatitis co-infection treatment programs
- Infectious diseases and HIV-related clinical trials sponsored by the federal government and pharmaceutical companies
- Free active outreach care and HIV/STD prevention for substance abusers (particularly heroin and cocaine needle users), offered in collaboration with AIDS Care Ocean State
- HIV care that is linked to the community at the state prison and substance abuse treatment sites
- Participation in four federally funded HIV prevention programs for adolescents, high-risk women, and men and women leaving prison
The Immunology Center is a major component of the Providence/Boston Center for AIDS Research — one of 19 centers located at leading AIDS research institutions nationwide that are focused on exploring new opportunities for HIV/AIDS research through interdisciplinary collaboration and shared resources.
For more information about HIV primary and specialty care at the Immunology Center, call 401-793-2928.