UroLift is the newest treatment available for men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Although it is a benign condition that becomes more common as men age, BPH can be distressing. In BPH, the prostate gland, which surrounds the urethra, enlarges, squeezing the urethra, the tunnel that carries urine from the bladder out through the penis.
As a result, men may have difficulty urinating, may need to urinate frequently or urgently, or may not be able to empty the bladder.
UroLift corrects the condition by lifting the prostatic lobes and holding them away from the urethra, just as a window curtain tie-back holds back curtain panels, to allow urine to flow easily through the urethra.
“We are thrilled to be one of the few hospitals in New England to offer this minimally invasive option for men with an enlarged prostate” says Gyan Pareek, MD, co-director of the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute at The Miriam Hospital.
Signs of BPH
- Urgent or frequent need to urinate during the day and at night
- A slow or weak urinary stream
- Difficulty completely emptying the bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- A urinary stream that starts and stops
Benefits of UroLift
- Unlike other treatments, such as transurethral resection of the prostate, UroLift does not involve cutting, heating, or removal of prostate tissue.
- UroLift does not cause sexual dysfunction or ejaculatory dysfunction.
- UroLift is an outpatient procedure, so men are able to return home the same day.
- The procedure does not limit or impair any surgical treatments that in the future may be needed for the prostate.
Typically, one third of patients will have a Foley catheter in place for a short period after treatment.
- Meet Our Team
- Surgical Specialties at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Technology at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Patient Care
- Education and Training
- MIUI Video Library
- MIUI In The News
- Contact a Specialist at the Minimally Invasive Urology Institute
- Minimally Invasive Urology Institute Webinars
- For Healthcare Professionals
- Make a Gift