Neurology Services at Lifespan
The neurology departments at Rhode Island and The Miriam hospitals offer diagnosis and treatment of brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerve disorders. Rhode Island Hospital offers outpatient and inpatient neurology programs and services. The Miriam Hospital offers inpatient neurology care.
Our Services Include:
- Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders
- Peripheral nerve and muscle disorders
- Neurological complications of general medical disorders
- Neuromuscular Laboratory aids in the diagnosis of a neuromuscular disease. Physicians use specialized tests called nerve conduction studies and electromyogram (also known as EMG) to perform functional examinations on muscles and nerves.
- The Electroencephalogram (EEG) Laboratory aids in the diagnosis of seizure disorders, metabolic disturbances, sleep disorders, and structural disorders, such as hemorrhage, tumors, and degenerative and infectious diseases. The laboratory is equipped with a closed-circuit TV recording system and scanner reading equipment.
- The Electromyogram (EMG) Laboratory aids in the diagnosis of diseases of the spinal cord, cranial nerves, brainstem, root or plexus, peripheral nerve, neuromuscular transmission and muscle. The laboratory provides standard nerve conduction testing and electromyography with special expertise in neuromuscular disease, single-fiber EMG, near-nerve EMG, evoked potentials, intraoperative neurophysiology, botulinum/chemo degeneration and pediatric EMG.
- The Cerebrovascular Laboratory aids in the diagnosis of transient ischemic attacks, strokes and subarachnoid hemorrhage. Equipment includes a carotid duplex scanner and a transcranial Doppler.
Research is currently being conducted to learn more about neurological disorders and how they affect our patients.
Over 1,620 hospitals and clinics throughout Rhode Island, here are some featured locations:
Neurology, Rhode Island Hospital
Ambulatory Patient Center (APC Building)
Rhode Island Hospital, APC 5
Providence, RI 02903
Neurology, East Greenwich, RI
Lifespan Ambulatory Care Center
1454 South County Trail, Suite 1200
East Greenwich, RI 02818