An 80-Year History of Serving the Community
Colonel Joseph Samuels, then owner of the Outlet Company and WJAR-TV, created what is now known as the Samuels Sinclair Dental Center. The late Joseph Sinclair's grandson, his wife Rosalyn Sinclair and their family continue the tradition of generosity through significant charitable donations.
Our name reflects the legacy of his family's support. Today, the Samuels Sinclair Dental Center is the state's largest and oldest dental care practice for children and adults with special needs. It is one of the first centers of its kind to provide comprehensive dental care within a general hospital.
Browse photos and a timeline of the center's history below.
The Samuels Sinclair Dental Center opened on March 23, 1931. Colonel Samuels made a generous donation to fund the construction and opening of the center to ensure children whose parents could not afford to pay would be provided with adequate dental care.
In the late 1930s, the young starlet Judy Garland visited Rhode Island. As part of her trip, she paid a visit to the Samuels Dental Clinic (known today as the Samuels Sinclair Dental Center).
E. A. Charbonnel, DDS, was the first director of the Samuels Sinclair Dental Center.
Dr. Charbonnel teaches young patients, who are wearing Dutch paper caps to prevent the spread of lice.
The dental tradition of Samuels Sinclair Dental Clinic in Rhode Island goes back more than 80 years.