Newport Hospital Awards and Recognition
In 2020, Newport Hospital received a five-star quality rating from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This is the best possible rating, which is based on an evidence-based evaluation reflecting a hospital’s standard of care. The rating system is based on quality measurements that have real meaning for patient health and well-being, including safety, timeliness and effectiveness of care.
Other Awards and Recognition
Our greatest reward is caring for our patients. That’s why we’re committed to turning treatment guidelines into lifelines.
- In the spring of 2023, Newport Hospital earned a Hospital Safety Grade of “A” from the Leapfrog Group, a national health care rating organization. Newport Hospital received this distinction for its achievements in prioritizing patient safety by protecting patients from preventable harm and errors. This grade reflected performance primarily during the height of the pandemic.
- In 2022, Newport Hospital joined the Age-Friendly Health Systems Initiative, a national movement to improve care for older adults.
- The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association presented Newport Hospital, a primary stroke center, with a Get With The Guidelines - Gold Plus award in 2023 including the Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll Award. Receiving the Gold Plus award means that Newport Hospital continues to reach an aggressive goal of treating patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care outlined by the AHA for 24 consecutive months or more.
- Newport Hospital has been designated a Diagnostic Imaging Center of Excellence (DICOE) by the American College of Radiology, setting it apart from all other hospitals in the state. DICOE represents the pinnacle of medical imaging care and is an achievement that goes beyond accreditation to recognize best-quality imaging practices and diagnostic care.
- In Spring 2021, the hospital also earned its eighth consecutive semi-annual “A” grade for hospital safety from The Leapfrog Group.
- In 2020, the Lifespan Cancer Institute at Newport Hospital was designated a Blue Distinction Center Blue Cross Blue Shield for its exceptional cancer care. The national designation recognizes expertise in delivering quality care and improved patient safety, based on objective clinical measures that result in better outcomes for patients.
- In 2020, The Leapfrog Group named Newport Hospital a “top general hospital” in the United States. Newport Hospital was one of just 29 hospitals to make the list.
- In 2019, Newport Hospital received Magnet designation for the fourth time. Magnet recognition is considered the gold standard for nursing excellence.
- In 2018, Newport Hospital was among a select group nationwide that received a silver award in recognition of its efforts to promote enrollment in state organ donor registries. The Workplace Partnership for Life hospital campaign, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), spotlights the critical need for organ, eye, and tissue donors.
- In 2017, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island named Newport Hospital a Blue Distinction Center for knee and hip replacement. Hospitals are designated as Blue Distinction Centers in recognition of their expertise in delivering quality care and improved patient safety, based on objective clinical measures that result in better outcomes for patients.
- Newport Hospital was recognized as a “high performer” in treatment for heart failure by U.S. News & World Report in its 2018-2019 Best Regional Hospitals rankings.
- Newport Hospital was named one of the best regional hospitals by U.S. News & World Report in 2015 and 2016.
- In 2016, Newport Hospital was among a group of hospitals in Rhode Island to be ranked third nationwide for support of breastfeeding by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- In 2017, Newport Hospital received The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval for health care quality and safety. The Joint Commission also named Newport Hospital a Top Performer on key quality measures in 2014.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute earned the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer in 2013 and 2015.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute sites at Rhode Island Hospital, The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital named to Becker's Hospital Review 2015 “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs.”
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute at Rhode Island Hospital was recognized in both 2012 and 2015 by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Certification Program for delivering high-quality patient care.
- For the fourth consecutive time, the Noreen Stonor Drexel Birthing Center has been designated a Baby-Friendly ® hospital by the World Health Organization and the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund for its outstanding support of breastfeeding mothers and infants. First approved in 2003, the birthing center's designation will continue through 2023.
- Newport Hospital has been certified as a Primary Stroke Center by the Joint Commission.
- The American College of Radiology has certified Newport Hospital as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
- Newport Hospital has earned accreditation and recognition from the American Association of Blood Banks, the College of American Pathologists, the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehab Facilities and the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.
The moment is captured, as leadership and staff at Newport Hospital receive word that for the fourth consecutive time Newport Hospital has achieved Magnet recognition, the national benchmark for nursing excellence.