A Career in Perioperative Nursing
With the urgent demand for nurses across the nation, The Miriam Hospital is addressing its current need proactively. The Miriam Hospital, named one of US News and World Report’s 2020-21 Best Regional Hospitals, has taken a bold step forward to shape the next generation of nurses with its perioperative registered nurse residency program.
To learn how you can enroll in The Miriam’s perioperative registered nurse residency program or for more information, contact Cathy Insana, MSN, APRN, CCNS, CNOR, advanced practice manager for surgical services:
View the Lifespan Careers page for all current openings and apply to join our team.
In partnership with New England Institute of Technology (NEIT), the program is designed for licensed nurses to expand their knowledge and experience while training for careers as operating room (OR) nurses.
Under the guidance of The Miriam’s experienced nursing staff, program participants gain hands-on training with state-of-the-art technology while learning the latest techniques and treatments for the high-quality care Lifespan delivers to patients.
Are You Ready to Start Your Future with Us?
This program hits all the buttons that a new generation of healthcare professionals has set – tuition-reimbursement, competitive salary, work-life balance, quality training, and career growth.
Our perioperative registered nurse residency program is a paid program for new graduate nurses to gain specialty training in the operating room (OR) setting through an intensive week orientation and then transition into the role of a circulating nurse in the OR.
- Six to nine months hands-on training and preceptorship
- Orientation is Monday to Friday, 6:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Paid training based on the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses' (AORN) Periop 101 modules and is a combination of classroom, clinical labs, and clinical experience in the operating room
- Gain perioperative experience in NEIT’s high-tech simulation labs and at The Miriam, one of the region’s top Lifespan affiliated hospitals
- Work with a professional team of specialists and gain experience with an array of related technology within The Miriam’s Center for Bariatric Surgery, Total Joint Center, Minimally Invasive Urology Institute, and Spine Program
- Learn how to become a patient advocate, deliver quality healthcare, and contribute to a safe and inclusive work environment
- 8-hour, 10-hour, and 12-hour shifts available after orientation is completed
- Upon program completion of the perioperative residency RN program, the intern will be offered an RN position within the surgical services department at The Miriam Hospital
The following prerequisites will be considered upon application:
- Bachelor’s preferred
- Associate degree in nursing will be considered
- Must be registered nurse licensed in the State of Rhode Island
Upon Program Completion
Upon completion of program, participants will be required to pass the AORN Periop 101 final exam (proctored).
The Miriam Hospital Foundation
The nursing staff leadership at The Miriam Hospital acknowledges the generous contribution from The Miriam Foundation Board for its support of the perioperative registered nurse residency program. This contribution will allow The Miriam Hospital to provide comprehensive training in highly specialized area in which experienced nurses are difficult to recruit.
- Our Mission
- Lifespan Board of Directors
- Lifespan Executive Leadership
- Lifespan Careers
- Lifespan Newsroom
- Lifespan Reports
- Lifespan Facts & Statistics
- Groundbreaking Research
- Lifespan and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Lifespan Community Affairs
- Giving at Lifespan
- Lifespan Purchasing
- Patient Privacy
- Lifespan Health Alliance ACO