- Lifespan Board of Directors
- Patient-Centered Care
- Groundbreaking Research
- Lifespan Community Programs
- Medical Education and Training
- Commitment to Quality and Safety
- Lifespan as an Employer
- Benefits at Lifespan: Total Rewards
- A Fit-Friendly Company
- Diversity and Inclusion
Nursing at Lifespan
- Lifespan Nursing Quick Connect
- Nursing at Rhode Island Hospital
Nursing at The Miriam Hospital
- Nursing Recognition
- Nurse Residency Program
- Our Philosophy of Nursing
- Professional Practice Model
- Our Care Delivery System
- Innovation and Research
- Student and Faculty Mandatory Orientation
- Nursing at Newport Hospital
- Quality and Safety
- Nurse Training
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Job Application Process FAQs
- Help With Applying Online
- Why Volunteer?
- Volunteering: Rights and Responsibilities
- Volunteer Opportunities at Rhode Island Hospital and its Hasbro Children's Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at The Miriam Hospital
- Volunteer Opportunities at Newport Hospital
- Papitto Opportunity Connection
- Free Career Training Programs
- Request Information about a Career Training Program
- Summer Youth Employment Program
- Meet the Team
- In the News
- Lifespan Executive Leadership
- Lifespan and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Lifespan Facts & Statistics
- Lifespan Reports
- Research at Lifespan
Lifespan Community Affairs
Community Health Institute
- Community Demonstration Kitchen
- Community Forum Schedule
- Community Health Reports and Resources
- Community Liaisons
- Contact Us
- Courses Offered by the Lifespan Community Training Center
- Health Education for Adults & Professionals
- Health Screenings and Adult Immunization Clinics
- Learning from Our Community
- Lifespan Community Health Institute
- Lifespan Community Training Center
- Our Staff
- Safe Sitter
- Social Needs Screening and Navigation Support
- Summer Sun Safety and More
- What We Do
- Youth Programs
- Corporate Citizenship
- Neighborhood Relations
- Team Lifespan
- Intern Program Changing Lives
- Community Health Institute
- Giving at Lifespan
- Lifespan Purchasing
- Media Inquiries
- Patient Privacy
- Lifespan Health Alliance ACO
Frequently Asked Questions about Volunteering at Newport Hospital
What Is the First Step in Registering as a Volunteer?
Complete the volunteer application. You will be invited to attend a volunteer information session. Call 401-845-1250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Volunteer?
Approximately one month from the time you attend the volunteer information session.
What Is the Minimum Age to Volunteer?
The minimum age is 16, or entering junior year of high school.
Sharing a Musical Gift with Patients and Visitors
Arilyn Mitchell says it feeds her soul when she shares her music with listeners at Newport Hospital, nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
How Much Does It Cost to Volunteer?
We ask volunteers for a $10 donation to support the purchase of volunteer uniforms.
Are There “Baby Cuddler” Volunteer Roles?
We are a Baby-Friendly birthing center. Mothers are encouraged to breastfeed and bond with their newborns during their hospital stay. Volunteers do not have contact with the infants.
I Have a Group Who Wants to Volunteer for a Day. Is That Possible?
We cannot accommodate groups or individuals that would like a one-time volunteer opportunity.
Can I Shadow a Doctor or Newport Hospital Employee?
Newport Hospital does not offer shadow experiences.
What Is the Time Commitment?
We ask that you be available for a minimum of six months for a once-a-week commitment. The time varies according to your availability and interests. College students serve for two semesters or during summer break. High school students may serve Monday through Friday from 3 to 5 p.m. or have a summer assignment.
Does Volunteering Guarantee Me a Job at the Hospital after I Complete My Volunteer Commitment?
Volunteering is an excellent step to learn about careers in health care. It does not guarantee you a paid position. If your priority is employment, please go to the Lifespan Careers website.
Can My Child Volunteer with Me?
We can accommodate teams of two in some assignments. The child must be at least 16 years of age.
Can I Volunteer in Research?
There are no opportunities at Newport Hospital to support research.
Can Volunteer Services Place Me in an Internship?
Volunteer services can assist students who are seeking a nonclinical internship. Some examples include: marketing, business development, and health care administration internships.
What Benefits Are Provided to Volunteers?
Volunteers for Newport Hospital receive:
- Free parking
- A $5 cafeteria meal voucher for every shift you volunteer
- Continuing education programs
- An invitation to the annual volunteer recognition luncheon
Do You Have Opportunities to Complete Court-Appointed Community Service Hours?
We do not accommodate individuals who need to complete court-appointed community service hours.
Who Is Not Eligible to Volunteer, Based on a Background Check?
All Lifespan staff and volunteers must participate in a criminal background check. Anyone who has been convicted of a felony for drugs, theft or assault is not eligible to volunteer.